Saturday, November 17, 2012

Swayin' and Swervin'

Day 55 -

We got a late start today and spent most of our day on the road.  We are slow travelers.  No one seems to be on the same cycle.  Fortunately, we are not in a hurry.

I DROVE!!!  Danny was really tired and he is one who will fall asleep at the wheel, which is never a good thing, but especially when you have your entire family and your home with you.  So, it was my turn.  It wasn't too bad.  We were on the interstate and traffic was light.  I had noticed that there was only 49 miles to go, so I volunteered.  Danny pulled over and we switched seats.  He gave a quick lesson on how to apply the trailer breaks if it seemed to get wiggly, then off I went.  I really thought that there would be a little more guidance, but within minute of my being on the road, Danny was snoring.  I thought I did pretty well for the first 10 miles or so.  There were a couple of times that I felt the rear end sway a little and I did as I was instructed.  A couple tractor trailers passed and I handled that well.  I even managed to call the Suwanee Music Park to confirms what time the Civil War Reenactment was going to begin on Sunday.  Danny woke up once, asked if he was snoring and then went back to sleep.  Well, a few miles up the road and I was coming over a slight hill, I felt that I was going a little too fast and applied the brakes and my rear end was all over the place.  (I could hear the kids in the back going, "Weeeeee".)  I was swaying and swerving and cussing and swearing and, needless to say, Danny woke up.  He began again instructing me on how to apply the trailer brakes and not to over-correct.  I made it through it.  It was tense, but everyone survived.  Danny offered to drive "if I wanted him to".  But I opted to continue.  I joked that I figured 'he was awake now'.  We finally took our exit and when I got to the stop sign at the end of the road, I let Danny take over.  I really do want to learn to pull the trailer, but I think I would prefer to stick to the interstate with long stretches of nothing but highway.

Danny got us safely back to Suwannee River State Park.  We don't have the handicap spot this time.  Maneuvering the trailer into the campsite was a little tight, but Danny did an amazing job and set up went pretty doggone well.  While I finished getting the inside of the house back in order, Danny ran up to the 'gas station' to get a few items that we needed for the evening and brought home a pizza.  I did a load of laundry, we enjoyed some time around the fire, everyone got showers and then hit the hay.

So far, I think I'm enjoying this life that we have chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment