Sunday, November 18, 2012

Civil War Reenactment...

...and a battle in the shower.  :)

Day 56

We woke the kids up early.  There was a Civil War Reenactment at The Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and I didn't want to miss anything.  I had been told that it started at 9AM and we still needed to stop by the Ranger station and check in.  We got there at about 8:45 and the gentleman at the gate looked at his watch and said, "Well, you're a little early...".  I thought, only 15 minutes???  Well, Danny saw a cafe and he was hungry, so we pulled in there first.  They had an "all you can eat" breakfast buffet for $8.00.  We decided you couldn't beat that - I can eat enough bacon to more than make up for that.  So we went in and sat down.  It was a very small cafe and it was pretty much 'serve yourself'.    The hostess was pleasant and brought us drinks.  The buffet was the only choice, so there was no thought involved.  Grab a plate and serve yourself...get to eating.

Some women came in dressed in period clothing and sat at the table next to us.  Danny asked them when everything began.  They informed us that the battle was at 2:00.  So we filled our bellies and went back home.  The kids took a hike and I took a nap.

We got back there at about 1:45 and it was 'cash only'.  Danny and I were the only ones who had to pay and it was just $6 each, but we were only able to scrape up $6 total.  We asked about an ATM and she said that the battle was about to begin and let us in.  We got to the battlefield just in time.

The kids seemed to enjoy it and never seemed to get bored.  Jacob never really complained about the noise either; although he did tell his father that his ears were probably going to hurt later.  We guessed who was going to win and sure enough, we were right.  I'm not going to tell you though, you'll have to read your history books for yourself.  :)

After we got home, I fixed some dinner.  Samuel had dragged a huge branch home earlier from his hike and they broke it up and we had a nice fire to eat dinner by.

The kids all got their showers and while Danny cleaned up the kitchen (thank you, honey), I went down to the bathhouse to get a shower.  I had all of my stuff set up when I noticed a HUGE spider in the stall with me.  I tried to scare him out.  I'm not really afraid of spiders, I just don't want them in the room with me.  I fully believe that they serve a great purpose; like eating the bugs that I am afraid of, but he needed to leave the stall or I would forever wonder where he was...like hiding in my slipper.  Well, once I decided that he wasn't going to leave, I figured my only alternative to stepping on him, was washing him down the drain.  He gave up an amazing fight, but I finally won.  I got him down the drain and I could still see him clinging on underneath.  I gave the drain a good whack and I could not longer see him.  Convinced that he was gone, I went about showering...all the time keeping an eye on the drain.  After several minutes, I relaxed and went about showering without worry.  Just before I was done, I noticed him hovering in the corner behind me.  He was pretty soaked and trying to get his legs to work.  (Ewww!  Shivers just ran up my spine as I typed that.)  I quickly got my stuff out of there and started drying and dressing as quick as I could.  I could see him starting to move...kicking his spider legs out one at a time and I was doing all I could to get out of his way.  Just as I was picking up the last of my stuff, he started heading for me.  I scurried out of there, all the while feeling really bad because I had heard a mom and her little girl come in and get into one of the other shower stalls.  I really felt like I had thrown them to the wolves as I hightailed it out of there.


No comments:

Post a Comment