Friday, November 16, 2012

1 Capitol down - 49 to go

Day 54

I woke up around 4AM.  Could have sworn that I could hear the sound of animals barking, fighting, howling???  I don't know.  But whatever it was, it sounded near the trailer.  So, naturally, I woke Danny.  Immediately, the noise stopped.  My theory is that the movement of the trailer from when Danny was jarred awake frightened them away.  Of course, I could have also been dreaming.  The night before I had walked to the bathhouse alone and without a light.  You would be very surprised how dark it gets in these woods at night!  Our lot is only a stone's throw from the bathhouse, but your visibility isn't much more than 2 feet in front of your face.  Danny had told me that the night before when he had walked to the dumpsters that it was pretty scary out there.  He was right.  On my way back, I could see NOTHING!  I would hear a noise and turn around to see what it was and there was nothing but black.  Seriously!  Someone could have been standing right behind me and I wouldn't have been able to see them.  And you don't dare run.  You're really just guessing at your footing.  I couldn't tell where the pavement ended and the campsites began.  Anyway, I did make it back safe and sound only to find out that I had left a bath towel down there.  I wasn't going back.  I didn't care what happened to the towel, it was lost to me.  :)  Danny did 'man up' and go down there.  But he will tell, it's scary in them there woods.

 I never really got much sleep after that and the coffee was set to perk at 6, so as soon as I heard it start, I got up.  After everyone else was up, I made some breakfast, stuck a turkey breast in the crockpot, and we headed out to Tallahassee to take care of seeing our 1st State Capitol.

The kids had spotted an awesome dolphin sculpture while we were looking for parking, so one of the first things they asked to do was get their pictures taken with it.  No problem!  It sounded like a great photo opp!  So, there we are, trying to get as close to the dolphins as possible, I snap a couple of pictures and then we are getting yelled at by a uniformed woman.  "Hey, you all are not supposed to be in there."  OK, no problem...until I realize that we are at THE Capitol Building and she is with the Capitol Police.  No harm, just a little embarrassing.  Especially when she is the one who scans us and lets us in.  I'm sure they kept a close eye on us the whole time we were there.

It was a good day.  It was a long day.  Jacob is the only smart one in the house.  He went to bed around 8.  Of course, before we traveled to the FL Caverns, that would have been 9PM and tomorrow we will head back to Suwannee and lose that hour again.  I will be glad to be back in EST.  It gets dark WAY too early here.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a mini flashlight is in order. Hey, you can get those kind you wear on your head...hands free!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete