Friday, October 19, 2012

The Silence is Deafening

Day 27 - The kids don't have school today.  There are only 4 more days of the craziness of getting up and getting the kids off to school.  YAY for me!  I got up this morning and went outside with my cup of coffee.  It was strangely quiet in the woods.  I sat and listened.  There was a white noise in the distance...maybe traffic, but it was steady and indiscernible   There were no birds to be heard...nothing!  I sat and tried to enjoy it.  At first it was so pleasant.  But after a time, it became deafening...the sound of nothing...something you would think that a mother of 5 would enjoy.  But it didn't last long.  Gracie came out and needed help with her cereal and milk and would, of course, be joining me as she ate.  Soon a little boy from a few sites down pulled in on his bike and asked if Samuel could play.  HIS dad said it would be OK.  These are the sounds that I am used to.  Surprisingly, the sounds that bring me pleasure.  But, please, don't tell anyone, especially the kids.

The family has adjusted quite well to trailer life.  The only real complaint that I hear is the fact that they don't have TV.  (Most people in the campground do have TV.  The kids informed me that the boy they met has FIVE.  I am hoping this is an exaggeration.)  But they have spent far more time outside than normal.  They ride their bikes.  They hunt for gopher turtles.  There is an animal farm here that they enjoy visiting.  They have spent far more time 'together' than they have in the past.  This is the part that I enjoy the most.  Family is so important.  I want them to come away from this adventure embracing that.  Knowing that without each other, life would not be as complete.

I feel as if I am finally getting a grip on things.  Organization is key and that is what I have spent most of my free time doing.  Eliminating things that we thought we needed, buying things that are useful and conducive to storage.  I have found that every inch of space is important.  All the way down to storing hair ties on the bathroom door handle.  Funny, yes, but true.

It is going to be good...this adventure that we are on.  We have always trusted in God to provide for our needs and He has always been faithful.  Our needs are becoming so much simpler now.  I am hoping that in that, we can be more faithful with our time given to God.  In all this business of preparing, I feel that I have not given Him all the time that He deserves.  I hope to remedy that soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment